Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
Acne is the presence of spots, pimples, cysts, nodules, blackheads and whiteheads on the skin. Acne is caused due to clogged pores. The occlusion can be formed by dead skin cells, ingrown hair, hormones, bacteria or excess production of oil. It affects all age groups but is most common in teenagers. Acnes appear on the face, chest, shoulders and back. Acnes can be inflammatory or non-inflammatory.
- Excess production of oil or sebum
- Dead skin cells
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Unhealthy diet
- Certain medication
- Hormonal changes
- Blackheads: it occurs when a pore is occluded by dead skin cells and oil or sebum, while the top of the pore remains open. Blackheads are non-inflammatory.
- Whiteheads: it occurs when a pore is occluded by dead skin cells and sebum, while the top of the pore is closed. Whiteheads are non-inflammatory.
- Papules: papules occur when skin around pores become pinkish due to breakdown of cells surrounding the pores from inflammation.
- Nodules: nodules are clogged, inflamed pores, that increases in size and are deeper under the skin.
- Pustules: pustules are similar to papules with pus filled in them.
- Cysts: cysts occur deeper than nodules, within the skin. They are formed when pores are clogged with bacteria, sebum and dead skin cells.
Diagnosis is based on the exhibited symptoms to identify the type of acne so that the right treatment can be provided.
- Stay hydrated
- Take healthy diet
- Wash your face gently and with mild products
- Moisturize skin
- Avoid or limit sun exposure
- Avoid or limit make up
- Reduce stress.
Treatment for acne depends on several factors such as type of acne, severity of the condition, location of the acne, causes of the condition and age of the affected person.
The major treatment plan depending on the cause includes:
- Removing excess oil
- Treating bacterial infection
- Treating hormonal changes
- Treat inflammation.
The dermatologist can help you in controlling your acne, make scars less noticeable and avoid damage to your skin.
The major treatment options include medications and therapies.
- There are numerous medications available for the treatment of acne including antibiotics and ointments depending on the condition of the individual.
- Hormonal therapy, light therapy, steroid injections are some of the other treatment measures.
- A healthy diet can help you get a clearer skin.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.