Acute sinusitis is a short-term inflammation of the tissues or membranes lining the sinuses. Most often it also includes a sinus infection. This affects the ability of the membranes to drain mucus from the nose and sinuses which causes mucus build-up. Sinuses are air-filled spaces or cavities behind the bones in the head; behind the eyes, forehead, nose and cheeks. They are connected by narrow channels. Acute sinusitis is a very common condition. Types of sinusitis include:
- Frontal sinusitis: behind the forehead
- Ethmoid sinusitis: behind the bridge of the nose
- Sphenoid sinusitis: behind the eyes
- Maxillary sinusitis: behind the cheeks
Acute sinusitis is usually caused by a common cold, which is a viral infection. Other possible causes include:
- Air pollution
- Narrowed nasal passage
- Cigarette smoke
Common symptoms of acute sinusitis include:
- Thick green or yellowish nasal discharge
- Postnasal discharge
- Breathing difficulty due to nasal congestion or blockage
- Fever, headache, tiredness
- Pain around eyes, cheeks, nose
- Headache and pain that worsen when bending
Other symptoms include:
- Bad breath
- Decreased sense of smell
- Ear pressure
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Nasal endoscopy
- CT scan
- Allergy testing
- Testing nasal and sinus samples
- Use humidifiers to moisten the air.
- Avoid or quit smoking.
- Identify allergens and avoid exposure to it.
- Avoid cigarette smoke and polluted air
Most cases of acute sinusitis do not require treatment. It resolves on its own. Self-care methods are usually used. Treatment done to relieve symptoms include:
- Decongestants to reduce nasal congestion
- Nasal steroids to reduce inflammations
- Saline nasal sprays to rinse nasal passages
- Pain relievers to relieve the pain associated with it
- Antibiotics are used if there is a bacterial infection
- Immunotherapy may also be done to treat allergies.
Self-care home remedies include:
- Avoid blowing nose with great force
- Periodic nasal washings
- Steam inhalation
- Drink plenty of water
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but for their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.