Adenoiditis is the inflammation of adenoids caused due to infection. Adenoids are the mass of tissues present at the back of the nasal cavity. They help filter out germs from the body and fight body infections. Adenoiditis can occur either suddenly or gradually.
Adenoiditis is caused by either bacterial or viral infection.
- Mouth breathing
- Noisy breathing
- Stuffy nose
- Sore or dry throat
- Nasal speech
- Ear pain
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Periods at night when breathing stops for a few second
Adenoiditis is usually diagnosed by an otolaryngologist, commonly referred to as an ENT doctor. Diagnostic procedures may include:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Physical examination
- Swab collection from throat
- Blood tests
- Allergy testing
- Sleep study
The chances of adenoiditis can be reduced by the following measures:
- Drink plenty of water or fluids
- Intake of a healthy diet
- Enough and proper sleep
- Good hygiene practices.
Treatment for adenoiditis depends on the cause and severity of the condition.
- Analgesic and antipyretic medications are used for viral infections
- Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections
- Surgery may be required in cases where the adenoids are large, or they lie alongside another condition such as a tumour or in cases of recurrent infections or if there is swallowing and breathing problems. The surgical removal of adenoids is termed as adenoidectomy.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.