Athlete’s Foot (Tinea Pedis)
Athlete’s foot refers to the fungal infection seen usually between the toes. It is a contagious condition that can spread to toenails and hands. Athlete’s foot cause toe clefts and peeling of skin.
Athlete’s foot are caused by fungal infection. The factors that trigger fungal growth are:
- Sweating heavily
- Wearing uncleaned socks
- Feet remaining wet
- Walking barefoot
- Touching affected skin
Symptoms of athlete’s foot include:
- Unpleasant smell
- Itchy, white patches on skin between toes
- Painful fissures, cracks or clefts
- Cracked skin that may bleed
- Red, sore, flaky patches on feet
- White or yellow discoloration
- Peeling of skin between toes
Diagnosis of an athlete’s foot is usually made by observing the feet or examining the feet. Scrapings, swabs or skin samples may be taken for testing to rule out the existence of other conditions.
- Wear clean socks and shoes
- Do not share your socks and shoes
- Dry your feet after cleaning
- Wear shoes that allow airflow
- Use a separate towel for cleaning feet
General treatment measures for athlete’s foot include:
- Dry the affected area carefully
- Keep the toes apart (of affected area) using cotton balls or foam wedge
- Use powders on the affected area to keep it dry
- Wear shoes that allow air flow, and are not too tight
- Antifungal creams, powder or sprays might be prescribed to treat the infection
- Antifungal pills may be given that have to be taken orally.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.