Common cold is a harmless viral infection of the upper respiratory system which includes your nose and throat. Even though people of any age group can get affected by common cold, children below 6 years of age are more prone to the condition.
- Common cold is caused by viral infection
- Many types of viruses can cause the condition
- Rhinovirus is the most common virus
- Virus enters the body through eyes, nose or mouth
- It can spread through direct contact
- It can also spread through droplets in air when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks
- Rhinovirus can also spread by sharing common household things with an infected person.
Symptoms of common cold include:
- Blocked, runny or stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Mild headache
- Muscle ache
- Low grade fever
- Loss of taste and smell
- Generally feeling unwell
- Slight body aches
- Pressure in ears
Common cold can be diagnosed with their signs and symptoms. Other tests like blood tests or chest X-rays may be recommended by your doctor if any other coexisting conditions are suspected.
Precautions to slow down and avoid spreading of common cold include:
- Wash hands
- Use tissues while coughing or sneezing
- Discard used tissues as quick as possible
- Stay fit and healthy
- Don’t share towels or household items with an infected person
- Avoid contact with an infected person
- Disinfect your stuff such as clothes, bedroom, kitchen, surroundings etc.
Treatment for common cold is done to relieve signs and symptoms. They include:
- Pain relievers
- Cough syrup
- Decongestant nasal sprays or tablets
Home remedies include:
- Rest and sleep
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
- Gargle salt water to soothe throat
- Keep your room warm.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but for their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.