Cystocele is a bulging, dropping or sagging of the urinary bladder into the vagina, a condition seen in women. It is also called a prolapsed, fallen or dropped bladder. Cystocele occurs when the tissues supporting the bladder become weak. In very rare cases, the prolapsed bladder can be seen at the opening of the vagina.
- Childbirth is a common cause of cystocele
- Chronic cough
- Lifting heavy objects
Symptoms of cystocele includes:
- Bulging of bladder in vagina that can be seen or felt
- Urinary incontinence
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Pressure on vaginal area
- Pain in vagina, lower back or abdomen
Diagnosis of cystocele may involve:
- Clinical history
- Pelvic examination
- Urine tests
- Bladder function tests
Cystocele can be prevented and further progression can be slowed down by the following measures:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid heavy lifting
- Treat constipation, if you have the condition
- Avoid smoking
- Choose a high fiber diet
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Get regular check ups.
Treatment for cystocele depends on the cause and severity of the condition and related medical conditions, if any.
- Treatment may not be required in mild conditions where symptoms are not exhibited
- Implantable devices such as pessary can be inserted into the vagina to support the bladder.
- Pelvic floor muscles exercises can be done to strengthen the muscles and support the bladder.
- Surgery may be recommended in severe conditions where above treatment may not be effective. The type of surgery done depends on the cause of the condition.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.