Endometriosis is a common health problem in women. Endometriosis is a painful condition in which tissue similar to the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterine cavity. In Endometriosis, tissues can grow on your ovaries, fallopian tubes, tissues that hold the uterus in place and outer surface of the uterus..
Although the exact cause of endometriosis is not certain possible explanations include:
- Retrograde menstruation
- Immune system disorder
- Hormonal changes
- Surgical scar implantation
- Displaced endometrial cells
The primary symptom of endometriosis is pelvic pain, often associated with menstrual periods. Although many experience cramping during their menstrual periods, those with endometriosis typically describe menstrual pain that may increase over time. Some other symptoms of endometriosis include:
- Pain during or after intercourse
- Abdominal cramps
- Discomfort with bowel movements
- Lower back pain
Diagnosis of endometriosis involves:
- Detailed history
- Pelvic examination
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
There is no exact measure to prevent endometriosis. The progression of the condition may cease temporarily with the use of oral contraceptives or with pregnancy.
Treatment for endometriosis involves:
- Medications such as anti inflammatory drugs for pain relief.
- Hormone therapy and supplementary hormones such as progestin, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists and antagonists are used to relieve the signs and symptoms of endometriosis.
- Fertility treatment may be recommended as endometriosis can interfere with the chances of getting pregnant.
- Conservative surgery or hysterectomy may be carried out based on several factors. Conservative surgery involves removing the endometriosis implants while preserving the uterus and ovaries. Hysterectomy involves surgical removal of the uterus.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but for their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.