Fever is a temporary increase in body temperature, often due to an illness. It is a common sign of an infection or any other conditions affecting the body. A fever usually resolves on its own. Medical treatment is required if the temperature rises too high or if it persists longer.
Fever can be caused by many reasons. The rise in temperature is the reaction of the immune system to a pathogen that has entered the body. Common causes for fever are:
- Other pathogens
- Certain vaccinations
- Certain medications
- Certain inflammatory condition
- Heat stroke
- Alcohol withdrawal
- Serious conditions like tumour
Symptoms of fever vary depending on the cause. Common symptoms of fever includes:
- Rise in temperature
- Increased pain sensitivity
- Muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Chills and shivering
The cause of fever can be diagnosed by:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Imaging tests
The chances of fever can be minimised by reducing exposure to infectious agents. Reducing exposure and chances of spreading can be controlled by the following measures:
- Wash hands properly before eating, after using the toilet, after cleaning or after being in a crowd
- Do not share personal belongings like towels, clothes etc
- Avoid sharing cups, spoons, utensils
- Cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing
- Maintain good personal hygiene
- Keep your place of stay and surroundings clean always
- Use sanitizers.
Mild fever may not require any treatment. It may resolve on its own. If fever persists and the temperature is high, seek medical help. The doctor might suggest antibiotics or other medications depending on the cause.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.