Fibromyalgia is a long term condition which causes widespread musculoskeletal pain, that is pain in muscles and joints all over the body. It also has associated sleep disturbances and emotional problems.
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is unknown. Some of the possibilities are:
- Emotionally stressful incidents such as death of a family member
- Certain chemical changes in the central nervous system
- Physical trauma such as an injury or infections
- Genetic mutations
Body pain is the most common symptom of fibromyalgia.
- Pain all over the body
- Sleep disturbances
- Muscle stiffness
- Problems with memory and thinking
- Mood swings
- Stress and anxiety
- Stomach pain
Diagnosis of fibromyalgia includes procedures to rule out other conditions.
- Medical history
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Family history
- Blood tests
There is no known preventive measure for fibromyalgia. The possible way is to remain healthy.
- Get adequate sleep
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Regular exercise
- Maintain a healthy weight and diet
Treatment for fibromyalgia involves a combination of medications and lifestyle changes. There is no cure for the condition. Treatment can be done to relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Medications mostly include painkillers and antidepressants to reduce pain and to deal with emotional factors.
- Lifestyle changes include regular exercise, healthy diet, reducing stress and other healthy remedies for a healthy living.
- Physiotherapy can be done for muscle strengthening, flexibility and other movement related problems.
- Counseling is also an important part in the treatment of fibromyalgia to help the patients reduce their emotional problems.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.