Fibrous dysplasia is a tumour like development of abnormal fibrous tissues in place of a normal bone. It is a benign (non cancerous) bone condition which weakens a healthy bone. Fibrous dysplasia is a rare condition and causes pain in the affected bones or areas. This condition mostly affects long bones (arms and legs) and less commonly ribs and pelvis. Fibrous dysplasia may also affect the skull that causes change in shape of skull or face and sometimes vision or hearing loss.
The cause of fibrous dysplasia is a defective gene or gene mutation which is not hereditary and might occur during fetal development.
- Pain in the affected bones
- Bone curvature and other deformities
- Swelling in affected area
- Bone weakness leading to fractures
- Vision and hearing loss (when skull or facial bones are affected)
An important part in the diagnosis of fibrous dysplasia is X-ray.
- Physical examination
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Other imaging procedures like CT, MRI and bone scan
- Gene test
There are no known preventive measures for fibrous dysplasia.
There is no cure for fibrous dysplasia. Treatment can relieve the signs and symptoms.
- Medications may be given for strengthening the weakened bones and reduce pain.
- Surgery is a major treatment part which is done in order to:
- Repair fractures
- Correct deformities
- Removing bone lesion
- Bone stabilization
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.