Food poison is the illness caused by intake of contaminated or toxic foods. Food borne illness or food poisoning is not unusual. Most often the poisoning is mild and gets resolved without specific treatment.
Major causes of food poisoning are:
Common symptoms of food poisoning includes:
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle aches
Diagnosis for food poisoning includes:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Medical history
- Details on food eaten
- Physical exam
- Urine test
- Blood test
- Stool culture
Some of the preventive measures for food poisoning includes:
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
- Maintain good hygiene while handling food:
- Handle food safely
- Wash fruits and vegetables before serving
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs
- Properly seal food before storing
- Do not store foods for longer periods
- Avoid any food that may be unsafe
- Wash hands before cooking and eating
- Wash utensils properly
- Keep raw foods separately from cooked foods.
- Most of the people with common symptoms may recover without any specific treatment, provided they don’t have a serious condition.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Diet modifications such as intake of small and light meals until you begin to feel better.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Rest is required as you may have weakness.
- Antibiotics may be recommended if bacteria had caused the condition.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.