Halitosis (bad breath)
Halitosis refers to bad breath. It is a chronic condition that can be caused by a number of factors. Halitosis can be embarrassing and may lead to anxiety in social settings. The condition can be improved with consistent proper dental hygiene.
There are many reasons that lead to bad breath. They include:
- Smoking and other tobacco products
- Poor dental hygiene
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Existing respiratory tract infections
- Infections in your mouth
- Dry mouth
- Certain drugs or medications
- Certain medical conditions
Symptoms vary, depending on the source and underlying cause. They include:
- Foul Breath
- Dry or cracked mouth
- Thick mucus saliva
- White coating on the tongue
- Constant bitter or metallic taste
Diagnostic methods for halitosis include:
- Dental exam
- BANA test
- Gas Chromatography
- Beta-galactosidase test
Preventive measures for halitosis includes:
- Good oral hygiene measures
- Have regular dental checkups
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid dry mouth
- Drink plenty of water
- Floss at least once a day.
Treatment measures for halitosis include:
- Good oral hygiene methods are very important in treating and avoiding halitosis.
- Avoid cavities and lower your risk of gum diseases.
- Professional cleaning at least once in a year may be recommended.
- Use of toothpaste with antibacterial agents and mouth rinses to destroy bacteria that can cause plaque buildup, may also be suggested.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.