Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland produces more thyroid hormone than what is actually required by the body. This increases the body’s rate of metabolism and can lead to unintentional weight loss and many other health issues. Hyperthyroidism can lead to other health disorders if left untreated. Females are at more risk of developing hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism can be caused due to a number of conditions including:
- Family history
- Other endocrine disorders like diabetes
- Graves’s disease
- Thyroid adenoma
- Excess iodine
- Thyroid or pituitary tumours
Hyperthyroidism exhibits various symptoms including:
- Unintentional weight loss
- Excessive sweating
- Increased appetite
- Irregular menstrual periods or changes in menstrual pattern
- Increased rate and/or irregular heart beat
- Hair fall
- Increased sensitivity to heat
- Visible enlarged thyroid gland
- Increased anxiety and/or nervousness
- More frequent than usual bowel movements
Diagnostic procedures for hyperthyroidism includes:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Blood tests
- Thyroid scan
- Thyroid ultrasound
- Radioiodine uptake test
There is no exact preventive measure for hyperthyroidism. Get regularly checked, especially females and if there is a family history of thyroid disorders.
Medication is the treatment method mostly used for hyperthyroidism.
- Medications such as antithyroid drugs and beta blockers are used to control the thyroid hormone levels.
- Thyroidectomy is a surgical procedure used in the treatment of hyperthyroidism in which the thyroid gland is removed.
- Lifestyle changes including changes in diet and regular exercise may also be recommended by your doctor to control thyroid hormone levels
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but for their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.