The Centre comprises of three main departments: Medical Gastroenterology, Surgical Gastroenterology and Interventional Gastro Radiology. These departments are led by a team of highly skilled and trained gastroenterologists, surgeons, endoscopists and experts in interventional radiology. Backed by advanced cutting-edge technology these experts treat digestive diseases ranging from minor illnesses to the most complicated ones. The entire spectrum of interventions from minor procedures to the most advanced interventions and surgeries are performed with utmost precision.
Liver cirrhosis is the severe scarring of liver tissues. When the liver tissues are damaged by any cause, it tries to repair itself and healthy tissues get replaced by scar tissues. As the condition progresses, formation of scar tissues increases damaging the liver and its functioning. Cirrhosis causes permanent damage to the liver and this leads to blockage of blood flow through the liver. Advanced stages of liver cirrhosis can be deadly.
Many conditions and diseases can lead to liver cirrhosis. Some of them are:
- Chronic alcoholism
- Various types of hepatitis including viral and autoimmune hepatitis
- Inherited conditions like Wilson’s disease that causes copper accumulation in the liver
- Metabolic diseases such as glycogen storage disorders
- Certain infections and medications
- Damages or problems with the bile duct
- Fat deposits in liver
- Buildup of excess iron in body – hemochromatosis
Early stages of liver cirrhosis may not exhibit any symptoms. A few symptoms that can be noticed are:
- Fatigue, weakness or exhaustion
- Loss of appetite
- Weight Loss
Other symptoms appear as the condition progresses:
- Swelling in legs
- Irritation or itching in skin
- Jaundice – yellow skin and eyes
- Slurred speech
- Loss of sex drive
- Absent periods in women
- Accumulation of fluids in abdomen
- Bleeding easily
- Redness in palms
Diagnosis of liver cirrhosis can be based on:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Physical examination
- Ultrasound scan
- Spleen scan
- Computerized axial tomography – CAT
- Magnetic resonance elastography – MRE
- Avoid alcohol
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Intake of healthy, low-fat diet
- Protect yourself from hepatitis.
Treatment of liver cirrhosis depends on the cause and severity of the conditions. The major objective of the treatment is to prevent further progression of the condition, minimise liver damage and reduce further complications. Some of the treatment measure are:
- Complete cessation of alcohol is recommended for cirrhosis caused due to alcohol abuse. Even small amounts can be deadly.
- Medications can be used to relieve symptoms such as pain, itchy skin and fatigue and other drugs can be used for conditions like hepatitis if it is the cause of liver cirrhosis.
- A low-salt diet may be recommended if there is excess fluid buildup in the body.
- Liver transplant surgery is required in very severe conditions.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.