Osteonecrosis is a condition in which bone tissues die due to lack of blood supply. It is a painful condition of the bone that limits one’s physical activity and mostly affects the hip, knees and shoulders.
Reduced blood supply which leads to osteonecrosis can be caused by factors like:
- Physical trauma such as injury
- Use of corticosteroids
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Blood disorders such as sickle cell anemia
- Radiation exposure for cancer treatments
- Fat deposits in blood
Pain is the most important symptom of osteonecrosis. There might not be any symptoms in the beginning. A mild pain that develops gradually progresses to severe pain.
The doctor reviews your signs and symptoms, performs a physical examination along with imaging procedures to diagnose osteonecrosis.
- CT Scan
- Bone Scan
- Avoid high dose of steroids
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Maintain good blood cholesterol levels
There is no cure for osteonecrosis. Treatment can be done to prevent further damage to the bones. Medications and surgery are the major treatment measures for osteonecrosis.
- Some of the important medicines include blood thinners, anti inflammatory drugs and drugs to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Surgery is a major treatment option as in most of the cases, the condition is diagnosed in advanced stages. Surgery is done to replace the affected joints or shaping the affected bones and other procedures according to the condition.
- Physiotherapy can be done to improve movements.
- Reduce stress on the affected bones.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.