Osteoporosis is a condition where the density of bone decreases or causes thinning of bones. This causes bone weakness and pain which can lead to easy fractures. In osteoporosis the normal process of replacement of old bone tissues with new ones is interrupted. Osteoporosis mostly affects hip bones, wrist and spine.
- Long term use of steroids
- Low intake of calcium
- Metabolic disorders such as thyroid disorders
- Certain medication
- Certain medical conditions such as cancer
- Easy fractures due to bone weakness
- Bone deformities
- Back pain
- Abnormalities in posture, usually a stooped posture
Diagnosis of osteoporosis is bases on:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Physical examination
- X-ray, CT scan
- Bone density testing
- Healthy diet including calcium, vitamin D and nutrients
- Regular exercise
- Maintaining healthy body weight
- Avoiding long term use of steroids
Treatment for osteoporosis mostly includes medications.
- Medications for bone building, calcium and vitamin supplies and drugs for preventing further damage is used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Lifestyle remedies such as preventing falls, intake of calcium rich diet, avoiding use of steroids can prevent further damage to the bones.
- Hormone related treatment measures such as estrogen therapy for women and testosterone replacement in men may be used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.