Paget’s Disease of Bone
Paget’s disease is a chronic condition of the bone which interferes with the body’s normal process of replacing old bone tissues with new bone tissues. Bone is an active tissue that is constantly being renewed and when this process is interrupted, it weakens the bones. Mostly affected bones are thigh bones, pelvis, spine and skull.
The exact cause of Paget’s disease is unknown. Some of the possible causes are:
- Genetic factors
- Hereditary factors, rarely
- Lifestyle factors
Paget’s disease may not exhibit any symptoms. It may be diagnosed during the procedures for any other illness. When symptoms occur, the most common one is bone pain in an arm or leg. Typically, the symptoms are:
- Bone pain
- Bone deformities
- Weakness leading to fractures
- Hip pain
- Hearing loss
- Vision loss
- Review signs and symptoms
- Physical examination’
- Blood tests
- Bone scan
Paget’s disease has no known preventive measure. The condition can be prevented from worsening once diagnosed by the following measures.
- Avoid weight gain
- Maintain joint mobility
- Regular exercise
- Avoid falls
- Healthy diet.
- Medication is the major treatment used in Paget’s disease. Drugs for bone building, calcium regulation and bone metabolism may be prescribed by the doctor according to the severity of the condition.
- Surgery is another option which may be required to replace joints, realign affected bones or for treating fractures.
- Physiotherapy can be useful for movement difficulties.
- Lifestyle changes including healthy diet, preventing falls and regular exercise can reduce the risk of complication and prevent further damage to bones.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.