Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Pelvic inflammatory disease refers to the inflammation of a woman’s reproductive organs which includes the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix. It is usually a sexually transmitted infection.
Pelvic inflammatory disease is mostly caused by a cervical infection that spreads from the vagina or cervix to the reproductive organs. The infection is caused by many types of bacteria among which gonorrhoea and chlamydia are the most common ones.
Some women with PID may not exhibit any symptoms. When symptoms occur, they include:
- Pain around pelvis and lower abdomen
- Pain during or after sex
- Pain while urinating
- Frequent urination
- Heavy menstrual bleeding and painful periods
- Bleeding during intercourse
- Change in vaginal discharge
Diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease involves:
- Review of signs and symptoms
- Medical history
- Sexual history
- Pelvic examination
- Vaginal swabs
- Urine test
- Blood test
- Pregnancy test
- Ultrasound scan
- Endometrial biopsy
Preventive measures for pelvic inflammatory disease includes:
- Practise safe sex
- Get tested for sexually transmitted diseases
- Avoid douches
- Discuss with your doctor about contraception.
- Antibiotics are mostly used in the treatment of pelvic inflammatory diseases
- Avoiding sexual intercourse until the infection subsides may be recommended.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.