Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a common health condition in women, mostly caused due to abnormal reproductive hormones levels. The ovaries produce eggs that are released every month as part of a healthy menstrual cycle. With PCOS, the egg may not be produced, developed or released which results in irregular or missed cycles which in turn can lead to infertility and development of cysts in the ovaries.
The exact cause of (PCOS) is not known. Several factors are thought to play a role. They include:
- Insulin resistance or high levels of insulin
- High levels of androgen (male hormones)
- Unhealthy lifestyle
Symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome may include:
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Excess body and facial hair growth
- Weight gain
- Oily skin
- Darkening of skin in some parts of the body
- Male pattern baldness or hair loss
- Skin tags
Diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome involves:
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- Pelvic exam
- Blood tests
There is no known method to prevent PCOS;Adopting a healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk and harmful effects of PCOS.
PCOS can be treated based on several factors such as age, symptoms, lifestyle changes and family planning.
Treatment measures for PCOS include:
- Medications such as birth control pills, anti androgen pills and drugs to treat other symptoms such as hair growth, acne, excess bleeding, etc..
- Lifestyle changes such as following a healthy diet and regular physical activity, which can help relieve PCOS-related symptoms and improve ovulation cycle, lower blood glucose levels and help the body in utilising insulin more efficiently.
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.