The Centre comprises of three main departments: Medical Gastroenterology, Surgical Gastroenterology and Interventional Gastro Radiology. These departments are led by a team of highly skilled and trained gastroenterologists, surgeons, endoscopists and experts in interventional radiology. Backed by advanced cutting-edge technology these experts treat digestive diseases ranging from minor illnesses to the most complicated ones. The entire spectrum of interventions from minor procedures to the most advanced interventions and surgeries are performed with utmost precision.
Dr Karthik Mathivanan
A renowned Liver Transplant Surgeoncomes with over ten years of experience in his chosen field. He is an expert in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Transplants and Laparoscopic Gastro-Intestinal Surgeries. He is a core team member for more than 2000 transplant surgeries , performing complex and high-risk liver surgeries with proficiency in living donor transplants. A pioneer for advocating ‘Organ Preservation’ that has resulted in successful transplants.
His areas of expertise include treatment of acute liver failures, performing ABO incompatible transplants, swap transplants, domino transplants and split liver transplants and transplants on elderly recipients.
- Acute Liver failures
- ABO Incompatible transplant
- Elderly recipients
- Recipients with BMI extremes
- SWAP Transplant
- Domino Transplant
- Split liver Transplant
- MBBSfrom Sri Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai (2000-05)
- DNB in General Surgery from Voluntary Health Services (VHS) Hospital, Chennai (2008-11)
- Clinical Fellowship in Hepatobiliary and Liver Transplant (HBLT), Institute of Liver Transplant and Regenerative Medicine, Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon (2011-12)
- Clinical Fellowship in Hepatopancreato-biliary and Liver and Multi visceral Transplant at Centre for Liver Disease and Transplant, Apollo Hospitals, Chennai (2013-14)
- Advanced Liver transplant Fellowship, Institute of Liver Transplant and Regenerative Medicine, Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon (2015-16)
- Chennai , Tamil Nadu
- English,Hindi , Tamil
Awards & Recognition
- Special Mention Poster at IASG, Pondicherry for the paper titled “Age No Bar In LDLT , Long Term Outcome in Septuagenraians from a single centre” (Oct 17)
- Travel Grant Award at International Liver Transplant Symposium (ILTS), Seoul for the paper titled “Effect of Extremes of BMI on Outcomes in Living Donor Liver Transplant – A Single Center Experience of 942 Patients” (May 16)
- Best Paper Award at all Indian conference held by ASI in Coimbatore, TN under Research category for the paper titled “Evaluation of Chronic Right Iliac Fossa Pain” (Dec 09)
Transplant Experience (01/2011 to 08/2020)
- Senior Consultant & Associate Director Institute of Liver Transplant & HPB Surgery– MGM Healthcare ( Jan 20 – till date )
- Head and Clinical lead, Chettinad Institute of Liver and Multiorgan Transplant, Chettinad Super Speciality hospitals, Chennai (Apr 19 – Jan 20)
- Consultant, Apollo Institute of Liver and Multivisceral Transplant, Apollo Hospitals, South Region – Tamil Nadu (Feb 18 – Mar 19)
- Consultant, Institute of Liver Transplant and Regenerative Medicine, Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon NCR (Feb 15 – Feb 18)
- Junior consultant, Centre for Liver Disease and Transplant, Apollo Hospitals, Chennai (Jan 14 – Jan 15)
- Senior Resident, Department of Abdominal Organ Transplant and Digestive Surgery, Sri Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai. (Jan – Aug 11)
General Surgery Experience (02/2006 to 03/2013)
- Senior Registrar, The Institute of Minimally Invasive Bariatric and GI Surgery, Global Hospitals, Chennai (Dec 12 – Mar 13)
- Clinical Clerkship, The Department of Surgical Oncology, Cancer Institute, Chennai (Nov – Dec 09)
- Medical Officer, The Department of Telemedicine, Sri Ramachandra Medical College Hospital, Chennai (Jun – Dec 07)
- Clinical Observership, GEM Hospital, Coimbatore (Feb – May 07)
- Personal Assistant to Prof. Dr. A. Mathivanan (HOD of the Department of General Surgery, Government Medical College, Salem) (Jul 06 – Jul 07)
- Senior House Officer, The Department of General Surgery, Southern Railway Headquarters Hospital, Chennai (Feb – Jun 06)
- Age no bar in Living Donor Liver Transplant Results of long-term outcome in Septuagenarians from a Single Centre (November 2017)
- Effect of Extremes of BMI On Long- and Short-Term Outcomes in Living Donor Liver Transplant In The Current Era – A Single Centre Experience Of 1315 Patients (May 2016) • Multivisceral transplant: First of its kind in India (December 2014)
- Simultaneous kidney–pancreas transplant for type Ⅱ diabetes mellitus with end-stage renal disease (December 2014)
- In situ split liver transplant for two adult recipients: A single centres initial experience (December 2014)
- Effectiveness of Protocol Doppler Ultrasonography in Salvaging Grafts in Post Orthotopic Liver Transplant Patients (March 2014)
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.