The Centre comprises of three main departments: Medical Gastroenterology, Surgical Gastroenterology and Interventional Gastro Radiology. These departments are led by a team of highly skilled and trained gastroenterologists, surgeons, endoscopists and experts in interventional radiology. Backed by advanced cutting-edge technology these experts treat digestive diseases ranging from minor illnesses to the most complicated ones. The entire spectrum of interventions from minor procedures to the most advanced interventions and surgeries are performed with utmost precision.
Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. It is a common emergency surgery used to treat appendicitis; an inflammatory condition of the appendix. When the appendix is inflamed, bacteria multiplies quickly inside them and lead to formation of pus. This can cause pain around the abdomen. This requires immediate attention and if left untreated, appendix can burst out releasing bacteria into the abdominal cavity and can lead to serious health conditions.
Appendectomy can be either open or laparoscopic. It will be chosen depending on several factors such as severity of your appendicitis, overall health condition, associated medical conditions and your medical history.
- The procedure is usually performed under general anaesthesia.
- Your surgeon makes an incision in the lower right side of your abdomen.
- The appendix is then removed.
- Your wound is then closed with stitches and suitable dressing will be applied.
- Open appendectomy is preferred if your abdominal cavity has ruptured.
- Laparoscopic appendectomy is a minimally invasive procedure. A laparoscope is a thin long tube with a high intensity light and high-resolution camera.
- Your surgeon makes a few small incisions in your abdomen.
- A cannula (a small, narrow tube) will be inserted to inflate your abdomen.
- An instrument called the laparoscopic will be inserted through the incisions, once the abdomen is inflated.
- The camera of the laparoscope will display the images on a screen which allows your surgeon to see inside the abdomen and do the procedure.
- Your appendix will then be tied off with stitches and removed.
- Your incisions are then cleaned, sutured and suitable dressing will be applied.
- Relief from symptoms.
- You can return to normal daily life activities soon.
- Laparoscopic appendectomy would give cosmetic satisfaction and lessens the probability of a post operative wound infection. It also shortens the hospital stay.
- Injury to nearby organs
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.