Corpus callosotomy is a surgical procedure that involves removal of corpus callosum to avoid spread of seizures from one hemisphere to another. Corpus callosum is a band of nerve fibers that connects the two halves or hemispheres of the brain. It is done in people with the most extreme and uncontrollable forms of epilepsy.
- The patient will be sedated for the procedure.
- The surgeon will make an incision in the patient’s scalp.
- A piece of bone or skull will be removed, exposing the brain.
- A section of the dura of your brain will be pulled back, creating a “window”.
- The surgeon will then insert special instruments to interrupt the course of corpus callosum.
- The parts are then reattached.
- Stops atonic seizures
- Improves quality of life
- Swelling in the brain
- Loss of coordination
- Memory loss
- Speech difficulties
- Increase in partial seizures
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.