Discectomy is a surgical procedure done to remove a damaged portion of the herniated disc in your spine. It decreases pain and allows you to regain normal movement and function.
- Discectomy is usually performed under general anaesthesia.
- The skin at the surgical site is cleansed.
- An incision is made down the middle of your back over the affected area. Minimally invasive or open surgery will be performed depending on your condition.
- The skin and back muscles are moved to the side to expose the bony vertebra.
- A small opening of the lamina, above and below the spinal nerve is made.
- The surgeon uses a microscope to locate the herniated disc.
- The ruptured portion of the herniated disc is then removed to decompress the spinal nerve root. Small amounts of spinal bone and ligament may also be removed.
- The incision is then closed with stitches or sutures and dressing is applied.
- Reduces symptoms of herniated disk such as radiating pain.
- People with leg pain benefit more from this surgery than those with back pain
- Damage to spine or nerves
- Spinal fluid leakage
Visit Our Facility
Our facilities are deployed with highly innovative world-class technology that is capable of transforming healthcare.
Visit Our Doctors
Doctors at Meitra are not only famous for their expertise, but for their friendly and welcoming approach.
Welcome to India
Are you planning to visit Meitra? All the procedures are responsibly taken care of.